3 shot, 1 dead in shootout in West Bloomfield Township

Posted at 4:18 AM, Jun 17, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-17 17:16:26-04

WEST BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WXYZ) — West Bloomfield Police tells 7 Action News three people were shot, with one of them dead, in a shootout in the 6000 block of Chase Court.

The incident happened at about 1 a.m., with the first 911 call coming in at 1:12 a.m.

A homeowner called police to report shots fired outside of his residence.

Police say a second call was received a short time later from the homeowner at 6864 Chase Court stating that he had been shot multiple times and that he believed he had shot someone. A third 911 call was then received reporting that the assailant sped off in a dark colored Dodge Charger.

Officers arrived at 6864 Chase Court and confirmed that the homeowner had been shot multiple times. The homeowner was taken to a local hospital. Another person was found in the home's garage, shot dead, according to police. Police say it was a 37-year-old man from Warren.

At 1:25 a.m., Farmington Hills officer saw a Dodge Charger matching the description of the assailant's vehicle seen leaving Chase Court, and with the assistance of West Bloomfield officers, made a felony stop in the area of 14 Mile and Drake.

The 47-year-old driver of the vehicle exited with his hands up and gave up to police without incident. The man was suffering from a gunshot wound to the stomach and was taken to a local hospital.

Police are not releasing the names of the men involved or the medical condition of the two who survived.

7 Action News knows the name of the homeowner but we're not using it as the police investigation continues. He owns a pizza store in Detroit but it is not clear if that has anything to do with the shooting.

Police say a handgun was recovered from the vehicle. West Bloomfield Detectives are obtaining search warrants.

In total, three people were shot in the altercation, with one of them dead.

The deceased victim is not the homeowner or the assailant, according to police.

Police have no motive yet as the investigation remains ongoing.