(WXYZ) — AMC Theatres is gearing up to put an end to its more than five-month closure.
The theater chain is set to reopen about two-thirds of their locations "no later than September 3," according to a letter from the company's CEO and President Adam Aron.
AMC says it has already opened more than half of its theaters in Europe and the Middle East and will open all of these locations by August 26.
"Here in the United States, we will begin opening AMC with more than 100 theatres resuming operations on August 20, and
continuing such that about two-thirds of our theatres across the country should be open no later than September 3. The remaining AMC locations will open after we get further clearance from state and local authorities that it is safe to do so. To check the status of your favorite AMC theatre, go to our website or mobile app beginning mid-morning tomorrow."
The chain released this list of "rigorous cleaning and safety protocols," as COVID-19 cases continue to rise in the U.S.:
• Social distancing will be very much in evidence throughout our theatres
• We are significantly limiting seating capacity in our auditoriums giving you added space
• All guests and employees must wear masks
• Hand sanitizers and disinfecting wipes will be widely available throughout theatres
• You can expect continuous extra cleaning and disinfecting of high traffic areas
• Extra time added between showtimes to clean each auditorium before every screening
• Each auditorium and all seats cleaned daily using sophisticated electrostatic sprayers
• Increased fresh air handling and use of upgraded MERV 13 air filters wherever possible
• Use of high-tech HEPA vacuums
• Reduced cash handling at box offices and concession stands
• Introduction of online Mobile Ordering of food and beverage to speed you on your way
New movie titles are here, and the company says it's bring back older films.
Disney’s latest installment in the X-Men Cinematic Universe, The New Mutants, debuts August 28, and Warner Brothers’ much awaited Tenet directed by the legendary Christopher Nolan opens on September 3. And enjoy seeing Russell Crowe in Unhinged starting August 21. More new movies will be released throughout September and the fall.Also starting August 21, and leading up to Tenet, we are delighted to show a special 10th Anniversary edition of Christopher Nolan’s Inception, which includes a special message from Chris and sneak preview footage of Tenet. As for library titles, we will be showing all of these beloved movies on the big screens of AMC: Back to the Future, Beauty and the Beast, Black Panther, Bloodshot, Ghostbusters, Goonies, Grease, I Still Believe, Jumanji: The Next Level, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back.
Also, starting August 21, classic movies will all be priced at $5 per ticket. New releases will be at normal current-day pricing, according to AMC. They are offering a whole host of $5 food and beverage specials to welcome moviegoers back to their theaters.
Check here for showtimes and more AMC reopening information.