The dry conditions across metro Detroit have the Canton Fire Department cautioning residents on the increased risk of fire.
"With the upcoming holiday weekend, residents should take extra precautions when using items such as charcoal grills, outdoor fire pits, and fireworks," says Deputy Fire Chief Chris Stoecklein in a news release. "Fires can easily start and will spread rapidly, due to the outdoor conditions."
The fire department responded to two structure fires in one day recently. One of the fires at the clubhouse of Meadowood Townhomes on Haggerty Road caused an estimated $150,000 in damages. A cigarette being thrown into the landscaping mulch is believed to be the cause of the fire.
"I cannot stress enough the importance of having working smoke detectors in your home" said Stoecklein. "Unfortunately, residents do not have the same opportunity to be alerted to fires starting outdoors, and often they go undetected until the fire is causing significant damage to property."
To enjoy outdoor activities, here are some precautionary fire safety tips:
- Charcoal grills should be started with intended lighter fluid only; never add fluid once a fire is going
- Place grills at a safe distance from lawn games, play areas and foot traffic
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from any flame
- Ensure all flames are fully extinguished with water before leaving the area
- Hot grill coals should be cooled and doused with water before discarding
- Dispose of cigarettes in a designated fire safe container
- Fireworks should be left to professionals
For questions with fireworks and fire pit use for the city, call he Fire Prevention Unit at 734-394-5456.