(WXYZ) — It's National Baking Month. So we caught up with Bakehouse46 (located in Birmingham and Rochester) to whip up some cupcakes.
Check out the video in the player above.
· 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
· 3/4 cup sugar
· 2 tbsp vegetable oil
· 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
· 2 large eggs
· 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp milk
Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
· 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
· 4 cups powdered sugar
· 1 ½ tsp Almond extract
· 2-3 tbsp water or milk
· Pinch or two of salt
· Crushed Almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
3. Add the butter, sugar, oil and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
4. Now it's time to add the eggs. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until mostly combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
6. Slowly add the milk and mix until well combined. The batter will look curdled, but that's ok.
7. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
8. Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Remove cupcakes from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1. Add the butter to a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
2. Carefully pour in about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined.
3. Add the vanilla extract and 1-2 tablespoons of the water or milk and the salt to the frosting and mix until well combined.
4. Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add additional milk or water as needed to get the right consistency.