The Detroit Fire Department is now saying that three people were hurt in the explosion on Exeter Street.
This includes two police officers and a 57-year-old worker at the plant. All three were taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Officials say all three suffered chest pain and irritation after inhaling ammonia.
Sources with the fire department say people were evacuated due to the leak and two blocks have been closed off.
Detroit police and fire crews are on scene responding to a chemical explosion with a release of gas at an industrial building.
According to the senior chief, it's believed to be ammonia and a HAZMAT II situation has been declared.
It happened in the 20000 block of Exeter, near State Fair and John R. An address for the building shows it to be Intrastate Distributors, which makes Town Club Soda.
It's not clear if there will be any evacuations due to the explosion and a release of gas.
We have crews headed to the scene for more information.