HOUGHTON, Mich. (AP) — A county in the Upper Peninsula is suspending in-person classes at all schools for two weeks due to a spike in coronavirus cases.
Houghton County schools will have online classes only, through Oct. 9. Football games and other sports events have been canceled.
“The positive test rate for Houghton County has risen from 0.6% at the end of August to 5.1% as of September 21,” health officer Kate Beer said.
“This pause allows us to work with the schools and other community partners to review and strengthen mitigation efforts as we move forward with the school year. The goal is to slow the spread so that local resources are not overwhelmed,” Beer said.
The county reported 26 new cases Thursday, and 84% of its 336 cases have occurred in the last month, The Daily Mining Gazette reported. Michigan Technological University said the rise was partly due to students arriving for in-person classes.
Additional Coronavirus information and resources:
Click here for a page with resources including a COVID-19 overview from the CDC, details on cases in Michigan, a timeline of Governor Gretchen Whitmer's orders since the outbreak, coronavirus' impact on Southeast Michigan, and links to more information from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC and the WHO.
View a global coronavirus tracker with data from Johns Hopkins University.
See complete coverage on our Coronavirus Continuing Coverage page.
Visit our The Rebound Detroit, a place where we are working to help people impacted financially from the coronavirus. We have all the information on everything available to help you through this crisis and how to access it.