Parents in Macomb deciding if they should cancel student senior break trip to Cabo

Posted at 10:54 PM, Mar 16, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-16 23:25:26-04

MACOMB, Mich. (WXYZ) — Parents of a senior at Dakota High School in Macomb say they have to decide by Wednesday if they want to send their kids on a planned senior trip to Cabo or several different options.

They say they contacted the travel agency to ask that the trip be canceled amid concerns over the coronavirus.

The parents say they're concerned for their children and themselves. They say in light of the spread of the coronavirus, they would like a refund for the senior trip they planned to Cabo, but say the travel agency is offering them something else.

“Watching what’s happening across the globe is very scary. The last thing I want to do is travel outside the country,” says Amy Orlando.

Amy has a son who’s a senior at Dakota High School in Macomb. Her child was supposed to go on a senior trip to the Hard Rock in Cabo. But now they're worried and don't want to risk sending their child on a trip and risk, getting the coronavirus.

“Now they’re losing their spring break and we can’t even get a refund so we can make it up to them at a later time, it’s just so disappointing,” she says.

Amy says hundreds of parents and students are planning on going from several high schools in the area.

“It can be a very big hardship to lose this much money. We’re looking at $5,000 for most of our families,” she says.

HD Travel in Troy says they understand why parents are concerned and have provided them with several different options. They sent me this statement that reads in part:

We have given our clients the option to travel as planned, the option to reschedule to a later date, and the option to cancel for a refund minus cancellation penalties. The hotel imposes a 2 night penalty on any reservation that is cancelled this close to travel. The hotel is holding all client funds at this time and we are advocating for refunds to our customers that request that option.

The statement goes on to say:

The hotel will not change their policy as they have limited to no cases of Coronavirus in the destination. We have given all of our customers the opportunity to rebook at a later date with 100% of their funds being applied towards a future trip.

Amy says she understands that information about the coronavirus is very fluid and changes constantly, but says she just wants what’s right/

“Extend the deadline so we have a little bit more time to make a decision that is safe for our families number one,” she says.

Some of the parents did purchase travel insurance but were told their insurance doesn’t cover a pandemic.