A metro Detroit doctor and his wife will be released from custody after being charged with performing female genital mutilation on young girls.
Dr. Fakhruddin Attar and his wife Farida Attar are accused of Conspiracy to Commit Female Genital Mutilation and Aiding and Abetting Female Genital Mutilation.
- CPS investigator says daughter of Detroit doctor, wife had FGM procedure
- Hospital fires Detroit doctor charged with female genital mutilation
- Female Genital Mutilation charges tied to religious sect in metro Detroit
- Second Detroit doctor, wife charged in female genital mutilation case
- Female genital mutilation is 'horrific form of violence' as Detroit doctor faces charges
The couple has been in custody since April.
The judge set several conditions for their release including; house arrest, no use of computer and only contact with immediate family.
The doctor and his wife could be released as early as next week.
The illegal procedures allegedly took place at Dr. Fakhruddin Attar's Livonia clinic. The charges were announced after a Henry Ford Hospital emergency room doctor was arrested and charged in connection to performing the illegal practice.
Dr. Attar and his wife are accused of conspiring with Dr. Jumana Nagarwala, 44, of Northville. Nagarwala was arrested on April 12.