DPD officer who was shot leaves city to join Shelby Township police

Posted at 8:24 PM, Jul 24, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-24 20:24:24-04

Officer Matt Windquist was a Detroit Police Officer for only a couple of years when he was shot in the face after responding to a call. Now, he is leaving the city’s police force for another department more than 30 miles north.

Windquist says the dangers of the job in Detroit weren’t the reason he has joined Shelby Township. Officer Windquist will never forgot what happened to him on Easter last year.

He and his partner responded to a burglary call on Detroit’s west side when they knocked on a neighboring door. A 19-year-old man shot at the police later saying he thought they were burglars.

Windquist explained, “I fell right to the ground on the sidewalk. I was still conscious, still was able to communicate.”

Shelby Township Police Chief Robert Shelide said, “Terrible, terrible thing happen to him in his life and he couldn’t wait to get his uniform back on and that struck something in me and I wanted him.”

The 27-year-old and his partner were at an awards ceremony when Chief Shelide offered them jobs.

“We snatched him up and he’s here now,” Shelide said.

Windquist was convinced to work for Chief Shelide immediately.

“Just the passion and the fire behind him, that’s a good guy to work for,” Windquist said.

After a few months, the officer was sworn in.

“I love the job,” Windquist added. “Wanted to be the police since I was a little kid.”

Officer Windquist is an example of what’s called a Blue Flight. He says he left the Detroit Police Department for better pay and benefits.

“It had nothing to do with the incident. I loved working for the city,” he explained. “Healthcare when I retire. I needed a better retirement.”

Officer a Windquist is now looking forward to a bright future in Shelby Township.

“Being involved with the community more. It will be a great time,” he added.

Windquist starts training Wednesday morning.