News

Actions

Elderly woman dies after Sterling Heights home is engulfed in flames

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WXYZ.png
Posted at 4:45 PM, Apr 02, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-02 21:27:21-04

STERLING HEIGHTS (WXYZ) — A 93-year-old Sterling Heights woman and her two cats are dead after a fire started in her home early Tuesday morning.

The Sterling Heights Fire Department arrived at the home in the 42000 block of Hanks Lane at 4:30 a.m. They found the ranch-style house "well involved in fire," according to a release, and learned that an elderly woman lived alone inside.

When firefighters went into the home to control the fire and search for the victim, they quickly located the woman. She received treatment on the scene but later died at William Beaumont Hospital in Troy.

Investigators say they believe what started the fire was an unattended cooking accident, which caused the fire to quickly spread throughout the home.

“Our thoughts are with the family as they struggle with this tragedy," said Sterling Heights Fire Chief Chris Martin.

The victim's two cats also died in the fire.