Elderly woman with dementia accidentally sets herself on fire, killing her

Posted at 3:09 PM, Mar 12, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-12 15:09:43-04

BRANDON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WXYZ) — The Oakland County Sheriff's Office said an elderly woman died on Monday night after she accidentally set herself on fire.

According to deputies, they and the Brandon Township Fire Department responded to a home in the 3000 block of Cedar Loop around 8:15 p.m. Monday on a report of a woman who caught herself on fire.

When they arrived, the fire had been extinguished, and paramedics administered medical treatment on the scene. The victim was then transported to the hospital where she died from her injuries.

A fire investigator said that the 73-year-old woman had been using a gas stove and it accidentally caught her hair and clothing on fire. It's not clear how the fire was extinguished.