News

Actions

Family dog starts kitchen fire at Hamburg Township home, officials say

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WXYZ.png
Posted at 9:06 PM, Jul 29, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-30 08:16:54-04

HAMBURG TWP., Mich. (WXYZ) — A fire was started at a home in Hamburg Township Saturday when a family's dog attempted to access food left on the stove, officials say.

The dog tried reaching the food on the stove, which was left there by its owner. It turned the gas stove on, igniting a flame.

It was the resident who noticed the fire when checking her security cameras when she was checking on her dogs.

When Hamburg Township Firefighters arrived to the home, they found smoke coming from the eaves and the front door of the structure. Fire crews were able to quickly contain the fire to the kitchen.

"PLEASE ensure that you do NOT leave any type of combustible materials on your stove," the fire department wrote in a Facebook post. "Kitchen fires are the leading cause of residential loss due to fire."