(WXZ) — Update 10PM: According to the attorney and family of 14-year-old Bobby Reyes, Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor has decided to grant the boy, who was declared brain dead, more time for a possible solution.
Earlier Thursday, Reyes' mother took to Facebook to voice her frustrations that a hospital in Arizona had opted not to take on Bobby's case as previously stated. Her emotional plea was seen by thousands on Facebook. Bobby was scheduled to be taken off of life support at noon Friday. That is no longer happening.
By Thursday evening, the family's attorney said some progress was made in negotiations with the Ann Arbor hospital. Now the attorney tells 7 Action News that he is fighting to get Bobby and his family a week to come up with another solution, which would mean another hospital taking on Bobby's case.
A day after they were given hope that a new facility would treat their 14-year-old son, a Monroe County family says they're again scrambling to find a new hospital to take him
- 'My son gets a chance to live': Family finds hope as they work to save Monroe County boy declared brain dead
Bobby Reyes was declared brain dead after suffering an asthma attack in late September. Doctors at CS Mott Children's Hospital told the family it was time to say goodbye.
However, they went to court to get more time to find a new facility to take him. On Wednesday the family said a doctor at Allegiant Health Care of Phoenix had agreed to accept him for treatment.
However, the family's attorney now says the doctor did not have the approval of administrators of Allegiant and they have disagreed with his decision.
Because of this, the transfer will not be taking place and the family posted an emotional video to Facebook saying the plug would be pulled on Friday.
The attorney for the family says he will ask a court for a stay of the decision to end care for Bobby, so the family can find another place to take the teen.
The motion is expected to be heard in court on Friday.