The family of Damon Grimes wants to know if key evidence was tampered with or destroyed in his death.
- MSP trooper involved in ATV crash that killed Detroit teen dies
- MSP won't patrol area in Detroit where teen on ATV died after chase
- MSP changes pursuit policy after death of teen in ATV crash
- $50 million lawsuit filed against MSP trooper in deadly Detroit ATV crash
- MSP trooper suspended for role in ATV crash that killed Detroit teen
The 15-year-old was shot with a Taser, crashed and died in August while riding an ATV illegally on the streets of Detroit in August.
There are new allegations that the probes and a wire were destroyed by an MSP Sergeant and found in the trash.
7 Investigator Jim Kiertzner talked with Damon's mother Monique Grimes outside of federal court.
“Do you believe there’s a cover-up underway here? Yes. Why? A lot of different things.”
Kiertzner continued, “How difficult has this been for you? Very difficult, hard to deal with.”
Federal Judge Gershwin Drain ruled that the family’s civil case must not interfere with two ongoing criminal investigations by Detroit Police and MSP and possible charges.
Michigan State Police Trooper Mark Bessner resigned after it was determined he fired the Taser from the passenger seat in a moving MSP vehicle. The other MSP officer driving has not yet been identified.