Financial planner Scott Carty says people spend as much money from May to August as they do during the holiday season.
But, most people would rather save than splurge.
Here are a few ways to make that happen:
- Cancel your gym membership and create an at-home workout routine
- Plant a garden. You could create about $600 worth of produce
- Get a programmable thermostat to dial the temperature down while you're at work
- Water your grass in the morning or at night, not during the heat of the day
- Skip the vacation and opt for a staycation