Fire at historic barn in Canton was caused by colored smoke bombs, burning paper

Police lights
Posted at 10:37 AM, Jun 11, 2021
and last updated 2021-06-11 10:37:00-04

(WXYZ) — The Canton Fire Department said a fire that destroyed the historic Cady-Boyer Barn was caused by fireworks and burning paper.

According to police, ground fireworks, colored smoke bombs and burning paper was used for a social media post, but caused the fire.

The barn was destroyed and a silo nearby was severely damaged due to the fire.

"While the fire was unintentional, this incident serves as a strong reminder that even small novelty fireworks can cause significant damage," the department said.

No one was injured and no other historic structures at the park were damaged.