KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) — More than a dozen small propane tanks exploded at a homeless camp in southwestern Michigan when they were mishandled near an open fire.
The fire was brought under control in 10 minutes Sunday by Kalamazoo firefighters. One person had minor injuries.
The camp has many tents. Scott Brooks, the Kalamazoo fire marshal, says an improvised adaptor on one of the propane tanks failed, causing an explosion. Due to the intense heat from the fire, other small propane tanks exploded. Katrina Davis was delivering soup and witnessed the fire. Davis says it was "unbelievable."