FLINT, Mich. (WXYZ) — 7 Action News first reported on Wednesday night that Governor Gretchen Whitmer and state legislative leaders have agreed to settle thousands of Flint Water Crisis cases for $600 million.
Today, the so-called Flint Water Warriors say this is a good start but other cases pending in courts for several years also need to be settled. They include the City of Flint, the EPA, and Engineering Contractors.
Former Mayor Karen Weaver said during a Flint news conference, “Flint lives matter. No amount of money can compensate for loss of life. No amount of money can compensate for the amount of damage our kids and our seniors have faced.”
The number of deaths to Legionnaires Disease could be more than 150. Thousands of kids and families with lead poisoning can have lifelong cognitive problems.
Cynthia Haynes brought her 11-year old son Daniel with her to the event. She says he’s autistic and has been through a lot.
“He was in a hospital twice with pneumonia for two weeks. I have lost time from work. His behavior was horrible. Hurley documented it. It was horrible. He was threatening to kill people," Haynes said.
Criminal charges were dropped last year by newly elected Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel.
Flint Water Warriors say the officials who ordered Flint to switch off Detroit Water to the Flint River to save money during a state financial takeover should be held accountable including former Governor Rick Snyder.
Audrey Mohammad is a grandmother of three who have lead poisoning. She says, “We demand, not ask for we demand that some criminal charges be brought against those that’s a part of that.”
Flint Mayor Sheldon Neeley tells 7 Action News misinformation is going around town about the settlement and how to monetize on it.
The settlement still needs approval from a federal judge and there’s a sign-up process that will go into next year.