Children exposed to potentially toxic chemicals daily in household dust

Posted at 6:09 PM, Sep 14, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-15 07:33:47-04

Forty five potentially harmful chemicals were identified in household dust that was collected throughout the United States.

These chemicals are used in many products like household cleaners, food packaging, cosmetics, fragrances and personal-hygiene products. They can also be found in baby products, furniture and building materials.

Researchers found 90 percent of the dust samples contained 10 harmful chemicals.

Question:  What were the top chemicals identified?

The number one chemical identified was Diethylhexyl phthalate or DEHP.  It’s a substance to help make plastic more flexible and belongs to the hazardous “phthalates” class of chemicals.

Next on the list is Phenols that are used in cleaning products, followed by flame retardants and highly fluorinated chemicals used in non-stick cookware.

Question: Are there any health issues?

Regular exposure to multiple chemicals in dust can have serious health problems like cancer or reproductive toxicity.  Also immune, digestive and endocrine system health issues have been associated.

Children who often play on the floor, especially infants and toddlers, have a significant risk for exposure.  They often put their hands in their mouth and chew toys that can easily pick up dust from floors. They can experience respiratory problems, declining IQ, and hormone interference.

Partha’s RX for reducing exposure to chemicals in household dust

  1. Make sure your vacuum has strong suction and use it twice a week
  2. Use a Vacuum with a HEPA filter as more dust and dirt get trapped in their bag
  3. Wash Hands frequently to keep from ingesting toxins in house dust
  4. Avoid products that are potentially harmful to health due to chemicals

Question: How are the chemicals getting into dust?

Chemicals potentially get released from products into the air and combine with dust.  We get exposed through inhaling or ingesting these tiny particles and small amounts can also get absorbed through the skin. 

This is very serious and people need to understand the damage the chemicals are doing to themselves and to their kids.