A western Michigan school has begun distributing bottled water after state environmental officials said it had elevated levels of toxic industrial chemicals.
Robinson Elementary School in Grand Haven said Monday the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality said it had levels of perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, known as PFAS, exceeding the Environmental Protection Agency's safe drinking water level of 70 parts per trillion.
The school says the DEQ is retesting its well water to confirm its initial findings. The new results are due Wednesday.
PFAS have been found at more than 30 sites in Michigan. They can enter drinking water when products containing the chemicals are spilled onto the ground or in lakes or rivers.
Exposure to PFAS has been linked in human studies to cancer, thyroid malfunction and other diseases.