GROSSE ILE, Mich. (WXYZ) — A campaign is underway to save a historic structure damaged by ice from the Detroit River.
The Grosse Ile Historical Society says wind pushed ice from the river into the 113-year-old lighthouse, causing damage to the railings and part of the foundation. A committee has launched a GoFundMe account to help with repairs to the structure.
You can donate here.
According to the GoFundMe page, donated funds would go toward:
- Emergency repairs for current ice damage
- Proactive measures to prevent future ice damage (example: Ice shields)
- The Lighthouse desperately needs to be painted in 2019
- New railing
- Repair existing water damage inside and out
- Repair windows and doors to prevent future water damage
- Restore the integrity of the seawall