Fire caused by downed power line destroys home in Huron Township

Posted at 5:03 AM, Mar 09, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-09 17:47:45-05

Fire crews are on the scene of a house fire early Thursday morning in Huron Township.

Police say the fire at the house in the 29580 block of King Road was caused by a downed power line.

The power line, we're told, smoldered for several hours before igniting the fire.

DTE Energy was initially called, but did not give a timeframe for response, according to police. 

The family who lived in the home tells 7 Action News they knew the fire was going to happen hours in advance, but unfortunately there was nothing they could do. 

"I thankfully have amazing neighbors, so I just grabbed my kids and their blankets so they weren't cold and chucked them over the fence to the neighbor's house.We just sat there until our grandmother could come get us so that we could go and take our kids to somewhere that is safe," said the mother who lived in the home. 

The house was completely destroyed by the fire. Crews were unable to fight the fire because the home was energized. 

No injuries were reported in the incident.