“Empty the Shelters” Michigan returns on Saturday. Not only do you get to give a pet a forever home, you can do so for free.
Shelters participating in our viewing area include the Michigan Humane Society, I Heart Dogs Rescue and Animal Haven, Bottles Babies Rescue and many more!
“They have kind of taken it upon themselves to come out and say, ‘Sometimes folks are in need and they’re perfectly capable of offering a good homes to a pet, so we’ll lift that burden of the cost,’” said Anna Chrisman, the Michigan Humane Society communications manager.
The goal is to help families connect with pets that are in need of a home.
According to Chrisman, they’re trying to adopt out 300 pets on Saturday.
"We are hoping to empty every kennel," Chrisman told Action News. "I think every shelter that's participating, there are 76 this time around, is hoping that by the end of the day all of the staff members llook in every single cage and everyone of these animals has found a home."
The Bissell Pet Foundation is making it possible for the adoption fees for the event. Those fees range from $75 to $400, depending on the animal, according to Chrisman.
Millions of pets are abandoned or released to shelters and rescue organizations every year — in Michigan alone, roughly 40,000 pets are euthanized yearly because they are unable to find new homes.
Every pet that’s given a new home on Saturday clears room for another pet to find shelter, and an opportunity to be adopted out at local shelters.
Here is a list of a few of the participating shelters/locations taking part in the Bissell Pet Foundation Empty the Shelters event:
* Michigan Humane Society (Detroit, Westland, Rochester Hills and Sterling Heights (Petco) locations — (248) 283-1000
* I Heart Dogs Rescue and Animal Haven (Warren, Michigan) — (586) 200-5977
* Macomb County Animal Control (Clinton Township, Michigan) — (586) 469-5115
* Friends for Animals of Metro Detroit (Dearborn, Michigan) — (313) 943-2697
* Bottle Babies Rescue (Dearborn, Michigan) — (313) 459-1419
* Saving Cats & Kittens in Michigan (Livonia, Michigan) — (586) 214-4135
* Almost Home Animal Rescue League (Southfield, Michigan) — (248) 200-2695
The Michigan Humane Society adoption locations will be open from noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday. A current state of Michigan ID or valid drivers license is required to adopt an animal.
Like Us. We Like You.
Get local stories delivered directly to your newsfeed.