News

Actions

James claims Michigan voters 'disenfranchised'; pushes for investigation without evidence

Posted at 4:15 PM, Nov 05, 2020
and last updated 2020-11-05 17:45:06-05

(WXYZ) — John James said Thursday that he will not yet admit defeat to Sen. Gary Peters in the U.S. Senate race, claiming there is "credible evidence" for an investigation into Michigan's voting process. However, James didn't release details of that evidence.

RELATED: Gary Peters wins 2nd term in U.S. Senate, beating John James, ABC News projects

Wednesday evening, with 99% of Michigan precincts reporting, Peters had a lead with 50% of the votes compared to 49% for James.

James had been leading on Election Day until absentee ballots were counted.

"When this process is complete, I will of course accept the results and the will of the people," James said in a press release. "But at this time there is enough credible evidence to warrant an investigation to ensure that elections were conducted in a transparent, legal and fair manner.

"Those who object likely have something to hide."

Sen. Peters, who is the projected winner in the U.S. Senate race, reacted to James in a Thursday morning press conference calling James' campaign "sad and pathetic."

“I understand. Mr. James has been running for four years," Peters said. "He’s lost twice now, so I understand that doesn’t sit well with him, but this is where you see someone’s character when they come up and realize that they need to accept the vote of the people of the state of Michigan. That’s bottom line.”