PONTIAC, Mich. (WXYZ) — School officials are racing into action Friday after a social media post threatened Pontiac Middle School would be bombed today.
Extra security will be on hand to protect the school premises as the district works to calm parents' fears. Classes are scheduled as planned today despite the bomb threat, officials say.
According to a letter sent home to parents from the district, someone made the threat via Snapchat Wednesday, saying the school would be bombed today. The letter also states the Sheriff's Office is investigating.
This latest threat is worrying parents even more than they already were.
Two weeks ago, a 14-year-old girl came forward to say she'd been assaulted by a 15-year-old boy in a secluded area at the school. Last week, an officer chased four people out of the school who were not students – after reports that one of the intruders had a gun.
"We can’t take any threat as a prank anymore. Schools getting shot up, kids doing crazy things now," said parent Jamell Humphrey.
"I think the school needs to take more action," said Violet Jones, whose grandchildren attends Pontiac Middle. "I don’t know if they need to have more metal detectors have more security, tighter security."
Several officers walking around Pontiac Middle School before students make it to class this morning. They are receiving help from a K9 dog @wxyzdetroit https://t.co/Kc3b6z6Qch pic.twitter.com/Dy61pDtpFg— Ali Hoxie (@ali_hoxie) May 10, 2019
My photographer says he’s seen several different agencies at Pontiac Middle School this morning including @RochPD , @Southfield_Gov police, and @oaklandsheriff @wxyzdetroit https://t.co/Kc3b6z6Qch pic.twitter.com/26Jo7A8nW0— Ali Hoxie (@ali_hoxie) May 10, 2019
The school district tells 7 Action News they plan on hiring three new full-time school resource officers to look over all the schools in the district.
Stay with 7 Action News on-air and online for updates.