(WXYZ) — Officials are investigating after a man entered Romeo High School carrying a machete on Jan. 8.
In a letter to parents, the principal said the man entered the high school through the front doors to use the restroom. After, he was seen walking around the school. Administration was quickly notified.
Principal Bernie Osebold said the man was addressed and was asked to leave since he didn't have a good reason to be in the school. Osebold said an investigation found that he had been in his car outside the school for about an hour before entering the building.
The Macomb County Sheriff's Office made contact with the man – deputies learned he had a machete concealed under his coat and a bag on his shoulder while in the building. He was arrested.
Osebold said deputies do not feel there is any evidence that the person wanted to cause any harm to anyone in the building. The building was deemed safe for school on Monday.
Officials continue to investigate.