Man dies after fire in the basement of a Detroit house

Posted at 5:10 AM, Nov 20, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-21 12:22:29-05

DETROIT (WXYZ) — The Detroit Fire Department confirms a man they rescued from the basement of a house that caught on fire has died.

Family members tell us the man who died is 61-year-old Sylvester Chairs.

Fire officials tell 7 Action News they were called to a home on Guilford Street, near Mack and Cadieux on the city’s east side, around 4:00 a.m. Wednesday.

Two women, a man and a 5-year-old child were also inside the home, but were able to make it out of the home safely.

According to 19-year-old Angel Linear, who was living with her grandparents inside the home, there were no smoke detectors.

“And the landlord knows,” said Linear.

Captain Christopher Dixon with the Fire Marshal's Office says landlords must install smoke detectors in rental properties. If they refuse, renters should call Detroit Property Maintenance Division to report the issue. They can be reached at 313-628-2451.

Otherwise, the Fire Marshal's Office does provide and install smoke detectors for homeowners, especially for people from low-income households with seniors or children in the home. To apply for the program, people can call 313-596-2959.