Man suffers burns after suspected meth lab catches fire in Shelby Twp.

Posted at 5:01 PM, Jul 07, 2017
and last updated 2017-07-07 22:19:41-04

Customers at Planet Fitness near 23 Mile and Van Dyke in Shelby Township were forced to evacuate Friday afternoon, after investigators say a man ran inside on fire contaminated with meth-making materials.

They searched a car out front for a while looking for any evidence.

Shelby Township Police Deputy Chief Mark Coil tells us, "We believe he was on fire and came here to put it out in the shower."

Investigators believe this all started with two guys cooking meth in a back room inside a house on Wiloray in Shelby Township.

One man was visiting his girlfriend, according to officers.

Neighbors heard a small explosion, which started a fire. 

They drove over to Planet Fitness, and one of the guys tried taking a shower inside the gym. He was eventually rushed to the hospital with burns.

Police say they are still looking for the other man. Witnesses at the gym saw the man coming in.

Mark Winn says, "Just in pain, with burns. I'd be screaming too."

Police say they don't see many suspected meth labs in the Township. A special response team spent hours at the house in Wiloray, looking for clues as to what happened around 3:45 pm.