News

Actions

Man who pleaded guilty to deadly sucker punch gets 8-15 years in prison

Hatum Akwari
Posted at 11:36 AM, Feb 26, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-26 17:42:27-05

(WXYZ) — A man who pleaded guilty to a deadly sucker punch at a bar in St. Clair Shores was sentenced on Friday, after having his sentencing delayed twice.

Hatum Akrawi was sentenced to 8-15 years in prison for the killing Shawn Kubic. In December 2019, Akrawi sucker-punched Kupic after a verbal argument at Kapone's sports bar in St. Clair Shores.

During his sentencing, Akrawi apologized for the punch, and the family gave emotional impact statements.

The judge also said he reviewed the video and saw what Akrawi did, contradicting claims by Akrawi and his attorney, calling his actions "egregious."

Judge Servitto said it appear the act was involuntary manslaughter, which called for the 8-15-year sentence.

Kubic's Mother, Kathleen Zelmanski, had previously said it was more than manslaughter and that 10-15 years isn't enough for Akwari.

The court tossed the second-degree murder charge and went with manslaughter. A higher court reversed that decision, but ultimately, the second degree didn't stick.

She said another suspect withdrew their plea in a related case, sending that case to trial.