AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (WXYZ) — New stores are hitting multiple malls here in southeast Michigan, bringing a new way to break away from the heat this summer.
“It’s exciting to see that Michigan is having new things come,” said mom Heather Hickey, who recently brought her child to the new Peppa Pig World at Great Lakes Crossings Mall.
This is what people can expect to see this year at malls in southeast Michigan.
Great Lakes Crossing Mall in Auburn Hills
- Recently Open: Peppa Pig World, Burger King, Under Armour and Planet Fitness opened around the holiday season.
- In the works: Hollister, President Tuxedo, Famous Hamburger and Pita and Hummus Shop.
Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi
- Recently Open: Sedona Taphouse and Cheesecake Factory.
- In the works: Breakers Korean BBQ and Sushi to start construction in late 2019, Deluxe Nails and Spa is under construction
Somerset Mall in Troy
- Recently Open: Ted Baker and Morphe.
- In the works: Michael Kors is set to relocate and expand inside the mall. The move is expected to take place in June.
The National Retail Federation predicts retail sales to grow anywhere from 3.8 to 4.4 percent in 2019 to more than $3.8 trillion in sales. Online shopping is predicted to go up 10 to 12 percent, while jobs in retail are expected to decrease. 170,000 retail jobs are expected per month, down from 220,000 from last year.