Off-duty Wayne County deputy demanding apology after being handcuffed at restaurant by Oakland County deputy

Posted at 4:46 PM, Jul 26, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-26 18:18:53-04

ROCHESTER, Mich. (WXYZ) — The Wayne and Oakland County Sheriff’s departments are at odds with each other after an awkward encounter over a restaurant discount.

It’s a story you’ll see only on 7 Action News. Dashcam video of the June encounter at Soho Restaurant in Rochester shows the confrontation between an Oakland County Sheriff’s Deputy and an off-duty Wayne County Sheriff’s deputy.

It started when Wayne County Deputy Jon Green, who was out for dinner with his family, asked the restaurant server if he could have the 30% discount for first responders. A sign is posted on the window.

After scrutinizing the ID, the server called Oakland County Sheriff’s Deputies to report a possible police impersonator.

The responding Oakland County deputy, a 25-year veteran, whose name is not being released, arrives and confronts Green in the men’s room.

“Where are you a police officer at?,” asks the Oakland Co. deputy. “Wayne County Sheriff, I also have a CPL,” responds Green.

He asks Green to step outside and places cuffs on him while he sorts through the facts.

Reginald Crawford, President of the Wayne County Deputies’ Association says the Oakland County deputy embarrassed the Wayne County deputy when he marched him out of the restaurant in front of his family, and the matter should have been resolved in the bathroom.

“In my opinion that was a perp walk,” said Crawford.

Green was in custody for just under 10 minutes. The Oakland Co. deputy repeatedly asked if he had been drinking and questions about his department, supervisor and company.

Green was eventually let go.

“Sorry about everything…ya know…but, glad it worked out. Okay?” said the Oakland Co. deputy at the end of the encounter.

However, Crawford said the apology was half-hearted.

Green declined to be interviewed because he’s looking into legal action.

The Oakland County Sheriff’s Department says if there’s still a problem, Wayne can file a formal complaint.