(WXYZ) — Crime can enter our lives at any time, no matter who you are or where you live. And when violence invades, it leaves behind a vicious path of destruction for so many people like those who are left behind to grieve.
They are victims too. But most importantly they are survivors.
This is National Gun Violence Survivors' Week.
Our Andrea Isom takes us on one woman’s journey to help heal her pain and others.
Please take a look at this list below. There are so many organizations in Detroit that can offer you the support you may be seeking. And connecting to those resources is essential. Pain and healing is a process of pain and you don’t have to do it alone.
Community Gun Violence Prevention and Mental Health Resources
Detroit, Michigan Residents
1. Charles W. Reid (CWR) Community Help Center- Nonprofit 501c3
Focuses on those impacted by Gun Violence & Poverty
Mental Health Support, Food & Clothing Support
Currently Virtual Only
(313) 666-0511 – Office number (313) 666-0512- Fax
2. Moms Demand Action
Support for Families Impacted by Gun Violence
Join other Moms & Families that loss loved ones to Gun Violence
3. Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority- Free Mental Health for Residents of Detroit
Counseling & Mental Health
707 W. Milwaukee St.
4. HUDA Clinic- Free Mental Health, Medical, & Dental for Low Income Residents of Detroit
13240 Woodrow Wilson St.
5. Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) for Low Income Residents
6. MiBlack Therapy Fund-Free Mental Health Counseling
7. Caleb’s Kids-Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Awareness Services Free for Residents
17 Highland Street
Highland Park, MI 48203
8. Suicide Prevention Line Open 24 Hours
Text- 4HOPE to 741-741
9. New Era Detroit
17301 Livernois Ave. #401
Detroit, MI 48221
Violence Intervention and Prevention
10. Military Crisis Line for Mental Health Assistance
Text to 838255
11. SAGE National LGBT Elder Suicide Prevention Resources
12. Wayne County Mental Health Counseling
Wayne State University School of Social Work
For Residents affected by COVID and need help paying bills, please contact:
Wayne County Michigan Assistance Programs