Accused Ortonville shooter on suicide watch in Oakland County Jail, authorities say

Posted at 7:27 AM, Nov 16, 2017

The man accused of shooting his estranged wife and her friend at an Ortonville apartment complex Tuesday evening is on suicide watch at the Oakland County Jail, 7 Action News has learned. 

The latest mugshot, sent over by the Oakland County Sheriff's Office, shows 34-year-old Michael Quigley wrapped in an anti-suicide blanket. 

The blanket, according to definitions, is used to prevent someone from making a noose out of their clothing. 


Quigley was taken into police custody Wednesday evening after a resident found him inside his van on Rattlesnake Lane in Ortonville.

The resident, who didn't want to give his name, said he checked the vehicle on his property and saw the suspect underneath a blanket in the backseat, first becoming suspicious when he noticed the windows were fogged up.

He said he pulled out his gun and got Quigley out of the vehicle, asking him to get on the ground.

"I took my phone, called 911 and within minutes a SWAT team came and took care of him," he said.

He said Quigley was "very compliant"

"I said, 'It's OK, it's over.' And he said ok and got out," he said. 

The man described Quigley as "a bit disheveled." 

"He had been on the run for I don't know how many hours, he just looked tired," he said.

Police say Quigley had no reported injuries.

The 34-year-old is accused of opening fire on the pair around 8 p.m. Tuesday at an apartment on Village Court. 

The man and woman were both shot in the head and are currently listed in stable condition at a nearby hospital, according to authorities. 

Quigley fled the scene on foot and after an extensive search, law enforcement found his cell phone and weapon near the apartment complex, according to police. 

We're told the woman recently filed for divorce from Quigley on November 7 and was trying to get a personal protection order against him. The man that was shot was the woman's friend, according to neighbors and police. 

A witness says the friend is the father of a 3-year-old girl who was in the apartment at the time of the shooting. She was reportedly uninjured. 

Now, the entire village of Ortonville is breathing a sigh of relief after the nearly 24-hour manhunt has come to an end. 

"It's not an option anymore, it's what you have to do -- it's not paranoia, it's preparedness," said the man who found Quigley.