NewsRegionDetroit

Actions

Detroit family loses litter of puppies in tragic house fire

Posted at 6:18 PM, Dec 14, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-14 18:18:29-05

A family on Detroit's east side is recovering after a fire killed their litter of puppies at the old rectory of a church on Thursday morning at Rowe St. 

At the time, two kids, ages 11 and 17, were home. Their mother, Bishop Angela Wlson, was in Chicago about to go in for surgery.

"When I look at this damage and see how bad this is burned up, I'm just so thankful to God that it wasn't the house or the kids." 

Firefighters called Wilson, telling her not to panic, the fire was contained and nothing burned up but the porch. 

However, inside the porch were eight Great Dane puppies less than 2 months old. 

"The puppies didn't make it. They couldn't get them out," Wilson said.

Three other adult dogs survived. 

Wilson said she has an idea of what may have started it. 

"The baseboard heater caught the curtains and it went up, that's what I think happened. There were curtains there so it might have sparked off or something and caught it," she said.

The family created a GoFundMe page to help pay for repairs.