(WXYZ) — The owner of the Crystal Gardens banquet hall in Southgate is pushing back after being tied to a COVID-19 outbreak with five cases and maybe more.
Spokesman Mort Meisner told 7 Action News the outbreak may be tied to Beaumont Hospital System and a picnic.
The Wayne County Health Department announced Wednesday the investigation centers on a wedding reception held at the banquet hall back on July 18. The owner provided 7 Action News pictures of the event.
Governor Whitmer’s executive order limits indoor events to 10 people. The pictures show many more were there. Meisner, speaking for owner Simon Thomas, said, “He just feels that he basically is functioning as a restaurant.”
Restaurants are allowed to be open with social distancing and people wearing masks.
Meisner provided to 7 Action News a social media post from a person who saw the news reports on the banquet hall and was at the event. He posted, “I know first-hand the people who tested positive are actually Beaumont employees who work together. They were all at a Beaumont work picnic the day before and two employees had tested positive.”
Beaumont said in a statement to 7 Action News they are reviewing the situation:
"We screen all our team members daily and require them to wear masks while at work. Our facilities are rigorously cleaned between patients and at the end of the day. We are reviewing the situation and talking with our staff, and have been in contact with the appropriate authorities since we became aware of the concern. Wearing a mask can help stop the spread of COVID-19 and we strongly encourage everyone to wear a mask and practice social distancing."
The Wayne County Health Department is continuing the investigation and is urging anyone who was at the wedding reception to get tested. Yesterday, they said the five people testing positive so far are women 25-55 years old and at least one was hospitalized.