The annual Ford Fireworks show is taking place in downtown Detroit on Monday, and that means many roads will be closed throughout the day for the fireworks.
Below you'll find information on street closures, parking suggestions and details on curfew enforcement.
The list of road closures below go into effect around 6 p.m.
- No northbound or southbound traffic will be admitted onto Woodward Avenue between Fisher Freeway and Congress except for emergency vehicles, D-DOT and SMART bus coaches.
- Jefferson Avenue will be closed to eastbound and westbound traffic between the Chrysler Freeway (I-375) and Griswold, except for emergency vehicles. All other eastbound vehicles will be routed north onto the Chrysler service drive.
- West Jefferson from Cobo Center westbound will be closed. Parking will be prohibited on West Jefferson, on Civic Center Drive and on Atwater to St. Aubin.
- Outbound traffic will be routed on West Jefferson from the Joe Louis Arena garage to Rosa Parks Boulevard; traffic will then proceed north on Rosa Parks to the freeways.
- Traffic on Gratiot Avenue between I-375 and Randolph will be routed one way northbound only.
- Traffic on Brush between Lafayette and Madison will be routed northeast onto Gratiot. Madison will be closed.
- Monroe Street, between Randolph and Woodward Avenue, will be barricaded and closed. Traffic on Monroe between Randolph and I-375 will be routed to travel eastbound only.
- Third Street at West Jefferson will be closed to the public and restricted for emergency vehicle use.
- Fort Street traffic between Cabacier and Rosa Parks Boulevard will be restricted to residents of the Riverfront Towers Apartments/Condominiums.
- Eastbound traffic on Fort Street will be allowed to turn right onto Griswold and proceed to the Lodge Freeway.
- Traffic on Trumbull between W. Fort and Fisher Freeway will be routed to travel northbound only.
- Traffic on Larned and Congress will be allowed to flow in respective directions, with no southbound turns except vehicles en route to the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel via Randolph.
- Michigan Avenue traffic will be westbound only.
- All traffic proceeding south on Griswold will be directed to the Lodge Freeway, via Congress.
- Eastbound Lafayette traffic will turn right at Griswold and proceed to westbound Congress to northbound Lodge freeway.
- St. Antoine traffic flow will be one way northbound from Atwater after the fireworks display.
- Woodbridge, Franklin, and Atwater between St. Antoine and Rivard will be one way, eastbound throughout the evening.
- Rivard will be one way northbound from Atwater to Lafayette after the fireworks display.
- E. Grand Blvd. will be used for outbound traffic from Belle Isle. Belle Isle traffic will proceed northbound on East Grand Boulevard and eastbound on East Jefferson.
- No parking on West Jefferson between 23rd and St. Anne.
- All the main streets – Michigan, Grand River, Gratiot, E. Grand Blvd. and W. Grand Blvd. – will remain open to allow motorists access to freeways. Woodward will remain open north of the Fisher Freeway service drive.
- Beginning at 2 p.m., surface streets south of Jefferson between Rivard and Jos. Campau will be closed to all vehicles and pedestrians.
- Beginning at 6 p.m., freeways will begin to close.
- There will be no vehicular traffic south of Jefferson from Third to Joseph Campau.
Also, the city will enforce curfew for kids ages 17 and under during the fireworks.
The curfew will be in effect from 8 p.m. Monday until 6 a.m. Tuesday for the area bounded by the Detroit River, Third Street, Lodge Freeway, Fisher Freeway, the extension of Fisher Freeway east to Gratiot Avenue, Gratiot Avenue, Vernor Highway, Chene Street, Atwater Street and Chene Park.
Minors in violation of the curfew will be taken to the Coleman A. Young Recreation Center at 2751 Robert Bradby Dr. They will be held there until being picked up by a parent or guardian.
More information on viewing areas and parking suggestions here.