NewsRegionMacomb County

Actions

Macomb prosecutor vowed transparency following office raid, but he's not providing records in state police and FBI investigations

Posted: 6:33 PM, May 13, 2019
Updated: 2019-05-13 23:23:06Z

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. (WXYZ) — Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith wants outside attorneys paid for by taxpayers to represent him after Michigan State Police raided his office last month.

MSP won’t discuss their ongoing investigation and Smith won’t release documents showing what MSP took in their raid in public records requests, including from 7 Action News.

MSP and the FBI are investigating four off-book bank accounts held by the prosecutor with almost $2 million, asking where did all the money go?

So far, county commissioners have said no to Smith’s request for outside attorneys.

Smith held a news conference Monday to talk about animal abuse, and refused to answer questions about these ongoing issues.

On April 17, the day of the raid, Smith said, “I recognize this doesn’t look great. I don’t want to appear that I’m interfering in any way because we have nothing to hide in this.”

Attorney Frank Cusumano is among those wanting the prosecutor’s documents.

He tells 7 Action News, “I don’t think that’s consistent with an objective reality of what he has done. He’s not producing any records. It’s cloudy in Macomb County today and cold, but hopefully the sun will shine again.”

Cusumano had sued to get all of the records, but backed off when the criminal investigations started.