News

Actions

7 people in Rochester Hills hospital after being exposed to Carbon Monoxide at Noodles and Company

Posted: 9:35 PM, Aug 11, 2016
Updated: 2016-08-11 23:28:49-04
Five people being treated for CO poisoning
Five people being treated for CO poisoning

Seven people are hospitalized in Rochester Hills after getting carbon monoxide poisoning at a restaurant.

It happened at the Noodles & Co. in the Village of Rochester Hills Shopping Center.

Five employees were taken to the hospital with similar symptoms.  A nurse recognized the symptoms and called emergency crews to inspect the building.

When the Rochester Hills Fire Department arrived, crews found the restaurant was full of high levels of carbon monoxide and immediately started ventilating the area.

Two more employees were transported for carbon monoxide poisoning, but no restaurant patrons were affected.

Firefighters said the restaurant lost power earlier on Thursday afternoon, when the power was restored, the ventilation equipment did not come back on properly. 

Fire officials believe the carbon monoxide built up because of the hours of cooking without proper ventilation.

The employees are all expected to be okay.

Firefighters tell 7 Action News this could have been much worse.

"It could have been very serious and that's why the fire department, every year, urges people to have carbon monoxide detectors in the house. You can't see it, you can't taste it. It's very important to have carbon monoxide detectors all the time,” said Lt. Paul Wright, Rochester Hills Fire Department.

Noodles & Co. is expected to open as normal on Friday, since the carbon monoxide was properly taken care of.