A family in Wyandotte is looking for answers and justice after their dog nearly died from eating rat poison.
Zeke, a 5-month-old German Shepard is usually rambunctious, but over the holiday weekend, his family noticed he was bleeding in his mouth and then he started getting very lethargic.
They rushed him to the emergency vet to find out it was rat poisoning.
"They said there was an 18% chance of him living and one technician came in and also said in the five years she's worked there, there has been, with all the cases of rat poisoning in dogs she had, one survived,” said Melissa Duda.
Melissa and Michael Duda, along with their two young boys, ages 2 and 4, have lived in their Wyandotte home for about two years.
They tell 7 Action News they’ve had problems with their next door neighbor in the past and they’ve even built a large privacy fence on their side.
They believe their neighbor intentionally pushed the poison under their fence.
"I come out here and that's when I find the rat poisoning right in my yard, there's just 20 tablets of rat poisoning,” said Michael Duda.
He took home video of the discovery, in it, the poison is very visible scattered next to a hole under the fence. He doesn’t want this to happen again or for his family to be the targets next time.
"We just want justice, we just want to live in peace, I have two little kids, you see her, I'm scared what would happen if I'm not home,” said Duda.
After several days on edge, a platelet and blood transfusion and a lot of medicine, Zeke is miraculously making a full recovery.
"I couldn't even explain how amazed we felt the chance of him surviving an did, it's just outstanding, he's a strong dog and a strong pup."
The Dudas' neighbor didn’t answer the door when 7 Action News knocked.
The Wyandotte Police are investigating the incident, but they told the Dudas it could be difficult to prove.