When Kelly Sleiman picked up a piece of wild caught fish at her nearby Costco, she couldn't believe her eyes.
After looking closely, she would find worm-like organism crawling on top of the fish and underneath the cellophane wrapping.
She notified Costco management immediately. They took the fish in question to the back, but she says the rest of it remained, causing her some alarm.
So what was the organism and is it really dangerous to ingest?
Seafood experts and doctors say they are parasites, and they're actually much more common than you think. And if you're buying wild caught fish, chances of seeing a parasite go up.
But they say shoppers don't need to be alarmed. The key thing to remember is that as long as you freeze it or cook it before consumption, the parasites should die and not cause you any harm.
We reached out to Costco, but they tell Channel 7 that they have no comment at this time.