The Fourth of July is near and that means fireworks will be lighting up skies across the state.
The fireworks can scare and stress pets, especially dogs, so we're giving you the best tips to keep your pets calm during fireworks.
- Play with them to keep them distracted
- Give them a special chew toy stuffed with something they like to take their mind off of it
- Try to calm the pet with a soothing voice
- Sometimes soothing music can help
- Running a fan to drown out the noise can also be effective
- Do not leave a pet outside unattended if they are afraid of the fireworks.
- If they want to hide, let them hide
If a pet runs away during the festivities, check the local animal shelter. Dogs should always wear an up-to-date dog license and ID tag. Microchipping is another great way to ensure a pet will be returned to its owner.
If a pet’s anxiety with loud noises or fireworks becomes unmanageable, consult a veterinarian.