News

Actions

Tree trimmer hospitalized after getting shocked by wires on DTE job in Warren

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WXYZ.png
Posted at 5:14 PM, Jul 14, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-14 17:19:29-04

DETROIT (WXYZ) — A contract crew working on behalf of DTE Energy was at a job in Warren Sunday when tree branches touching a power line, caused the wire to arc.

The two-person tree crew was trimming limbs near the primary wires when it appears one of the branches fell into the wire, and the trimmer was shocked, according to DTE.

He was taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital for an evaluation.

DTE Energy says they are working with the contractor to figure out exactly what happened, and they are grateful the person was not more seriously injured.

The company outlined these wire safety tips:

  • Whether wires are in the air or on the ground, stay at least 20 feet away and assume they are live.
  • Before beginning any outdoor projects, check your surroundings to avoid potential safety hazards.
  • Carry ladders and other tools horizontally to avoid accidental contact with overhead power lines.

Click here for more information about DTE’s tree trimming guidelines.