(WXYZ) — In October, the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island announced that a 9-foot LEGO model created by a University of Michigan engineer is up for a vote to become a full LEGO kit. Now, the hotel is asking for your help in the vote.
Dr. David Lorch, an engineer at U of M, created the 9-foot model for the hotel's 130th anniversary.
"When you travel across the Mackinac Bridge to or from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, it is impossible to miss the beauty of Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in the view," Lorch said to the hotel. "The view I saw traveling across the bridge inspired me, a LEGO fan, to make a model of Grand Hotel. After building a 9-foot-long version of the large building, I took on the challenge to build a model on a scale better suited for a LEGO set."
The 710-piece model is nearly 9-feet long and is now up for a vote. There are still more than 200 days left to vote, but as of this writing on March 18, 2019, there are only 483 supporters.
To vote for the piece, follow the steps below.
- Go to ideas.lego.com
- You will be taken to the Grand Hotel's LEGO model page
- You'll have to log in or create an account
- After doing so, you will enter an authorization code and validate your email
- After validating, you can log in and click the support button!
- Let them know you voted by using the hashtag #legograndhotel on social media