A Warren man is recovering today after a bottle rocket he tried to light, exploded, sending glass fragments into his neck and his torso.
First responders say the 67-year-old, who has yet to be named, is lucky to be alive given how close the glass came to severing his carotid artery, which feeds blood to the brain.
The man was immediately taken to the trauma center at Beaumont hospital and is listed in stable condition.
But first responders, along with Warren's mayor, Jim Fouts are concerned by the fact that the man was heavily intoxicated at the time of the incident.
For the last eight years, Fouts has been patrolling the streets of Warren with police officers, and he says alcohol is the key problem.
And he's urging residents to use fireworks responsibly. The city has a $500 penalty in place for those who choose not to.