LANSING, Mich. (WXYZ) — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has rescinded the stay-at-home order and will bars and restaurants to resume service on June 8.
“The data has shown that we are ready to carefully move our state into the next phase of the MI Safe Start Plan, but we owe it to our brave frontline heroes to get this right,” Whitmer said in a release. “While Michiganders are no longer required to stay home, we must all continue to be smart and practice social distancing, and encourage those who meet the criteria to get tested for COVID-19. If we all do our part, our goal is to announce a shift to phase five for the entire state prior to the fourth of July. Stay smart, stay safe, and let’s all do our part.”
Gyms, hair salons, tattoo parlors and casinos will remain closed, but outdoor fitness classes, athletic practices, training sessions or games can begin. Coaches, spectators, participants and those not in the same household will have to maintain social distancing.
The bars, restaurants and retail stores will have to maintain 50% capacity. Earlier this month, Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said they were exploring areas to close some streets to allow more outdoor seating for bars and restaurants.
You can read the entire Executive Order below.
Additional Coronavirus information and resources:
Click here for a page with resources including a COVID-19 overview from the CDC, details on cases in Michigan, a timeline of Governor Gretchen Whitmer's orders since the outbreak, coronavirus' impact on Southeast Michigan, and links to more information from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC and the WHO.
View a global coronavirus tracker with data from Johns Hopkins University.
Find out how you can help metro Detroit restaurants struggling during the pandemic.
See all of our Helping Each Other stories.
See complete coverage on our Coronavirus Continuing Coverage page.