(WXYZ) — For years, we’ve reported extensively on the failures inside Michigan mental health facilities that have torn families apart throughout the state.
Just 15 hours after Timothy Lander was released from Port Huron’s McLaren Hospital in 2017, he killed his mother and attacked her boyfriend with a machete. The psychiatric hospital had deemed Lander safe enough to be released.
For the last two years, we’ve revealed horrific abuses at Harbor Oaks psychiatric hospital in New Baltimore, where repeated sexual and physical assaults of patients have led to criminal charges and sent some of our most vulnerable men, women and children to the hospital.
- ‘My son could have died.’ Mother blames metro Detroit psych hospital for 7-year-old’s injuries
- 3 more abuse claims lead to charges at Harbor Oaks Hospital
- Michigan mental hospital nurse pleads for help: "We can't keep people safe"
- Michigan mental health patient charged with two sex assaults at Harbor Oaks
- Ex-employees: Metro Detroit psych hospital so understaffed it's dangerous
- Harbor Oaks inflated staffing levels when watchdogs visited, insiders claim
Our latest report focuses on a Detroit psychiatric hospital where a local man turned to for help during his struggle with depression. But two days following his release from the hospital, he admitted to a brutal murder.
It’s a crime that never should have happened.
Monday on 7 Action News at 6, we’ll show you the warning signs that family members say were missed and why Michigan’s broken mental health system continues to fail so many.