DETROIT (WXYZ) — The 36th District Court is warning the public of a current scam where people are calling members of the public from what appears to be the 36th District Court number, then demanding payment for an active warrant, officials say.
The notice says that a ghost number is being used and it appears to be the actual court house number – 313-965-8700. However, court staff would never contact individuals by telephone to demand payment for an active warrant.
According to a media release, warrants may only be canceled by either one of two ways: By posting the required bond amount and appearing on a scheduled court date, or appearing in court on the walk-in docket, if eligible.
There are also only a few valid payment methods, and payment by telephone is not one of them. Those methods are:
- Online – Pay Your Tickets Online and enter the applicable information.
- DivDat Kiosks - Click here for locations throughout the Metro Detroit area.
- By Mail – Do not mail cash. Place the citation number on the check or money order and make payable to: 36thDistrict Court, 421 Madison, Attn. Finance Unit, Detroit, MI 48226.
- 24-Hour Drop Box – Located in the Court Lobby – Do not deposit cash. Place the citation number on the check or money order and make payable to: 36th District Court.
- Kiosks – Located throughout the Court Building. Accepts cash or credit card.
- Cashier's Window - Open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Open 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Wednesday
If you've been contacted by anyone asking for payment by phone on behalf of 36th District Court, please contact your local police.
For more information, please visit the Court’s website athttp://www.36thdistrictcourt.org/.