WESTLAND, Mich. (WXYZ) — Westland police say a woman is in the ICU after they rescued her from her home, which caught fire. The entire ordeal was captured on a police officer’s body camera. It happened Monday night at 6:30 p.m.
Police on nearby road patrol were first to arrive.
“One of them looked into the house and could see a woman’s foot 15 to 20 feet inside,” says Police Chief Jeff Jedrusik. “The heat was extremely dangerous and broken glass was everywhere. The officers rushed in at risk to themselves in order to save a life."
While police successfully removed the 79-year-old woman, they were unable to save her 80-year-old husband at the home on Majestic.
Officers were treated for their injuries on scene. A dropped cigarette is being looked into as a possible cause of the fire.
Police in Westland say that being ready for any emergency is critical. It’s a reason they’ll continue to train together with firefighters to learn the right techniques when arriving first at a fire.