NewsCoronavirus

Actions

Bond reduced for suspect in fatal Roseville bar shooting of metro Detroit father due to COVID-19 fears

Posted at 9:33 PM, Apr 20, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-20 23:33:10-04

MACOMB COUNTY (WXYZ) — A man charged in a deadly shooting at a Roseville bar last year had his bond reduced over fears of COVID-19. He was ordered to wear a tether.

The victim's father-in-law is furious and says this alleged killer shouldn’t be allowed out and back home.

Charles Richards said when he found out bond had been reduced For Nolan Baca, he couldn’t believe it. Now, he wants everyone to know the man who allegedly killed his son-in-law is free.

"I’m furious," Richards said. "He should never had any bond."

Richards' son-in-law, Johnny Owczaraki, was shot and killed in 2019 following an argument at Dooley's bar in Roseville. The father-in-law says everyday is harder and harder after Owczaraki was killed.

RELATED: 21-year-old charged in fatal Roseville bar shooting

"We’re never going to be able to see Johnny again," Richards said.

Nolan Baca, of Clinton Township, who was 21 at the time, is charged with second-degree murder, felony firearm and carrying a concealed weapon.

"He’s released,"Richards said. "He’s at home with his family and his friends. He can’t leave his house. You know we’re never going to see Johnny, my son-in-law, again."

The shooting happened on October 21, 2019. Police say when they arrived they found Owczaraki dead in the bathroom. Witnesses told police Owczaraki and Baca got into an argument in the bathroom, then Baca pulled out a gun and allegedly shot Owczaraki.

"Here’s somebody that in cold blood murdered him regardless of a push and a shove," Richards said.

The Macomb County Prosecutors office tells 7 Action News two weeks ago bond was lowered to half a million dollars cash surety. Then one week later, Baca’s family came back before the court with $125,000 cash and the judge accepted it after the suspect's lawyers were concerned about the coronavirus.

Baca was ordered to wear a tether. The prosecutors office responded saying, “we are very disappointed in the court reduction of bond. We will be keeping a close eye on his tether."

For Richards, he says it’s not right and says the person charged in his son-in-laws death shouldn’t be out free.

"Why would you let a violent person that murders somebody out on bond," Richards said. "He should be in a single cell there. He murdered somebody."

Richards says he wants what’s right and will continue to fight until his family gets justice.

Additional Coronavirus information and resources:

Read our daily Coronavirus Live Blog for the latest updates and news on coronavirus.

Click here for a page with resources including a COVID-19 overview from the CDC, details on cases in Michigan, a timeline of Governor Gretchen Whitmer's orders since the outbreak, coronavirus' impact on Southeast Michigan, and links to more information from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC and the WHO.

View a global coronavirus tracker with data from Johns Hopkins University.

Find out how you can help metro Detroit restaurants struggling during the pandemic.

See all of our Helping Each Other stories.

See complete coverage on our Coronavirus Continuing Coverage page.