LANSING (WXYZ) — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed Executive Order 2020-79 Monday, which suspends certain requirements for youth to obtain a work permit in the state.
With the suspension of the remainder of the school year, the governor's recognizes that it may be difficult for students to gave proper documentation to work. The suspension of certain requirements was necessary to ensure youth can obtain summer work during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Michigan’s young people are an essential part of the state’s workforce, and making sure they have an opportunity to acquire the proper permit and help fight COVID-19 is vital,” Whitmer said. “This executive order will lift some requirements to ensure those opportunities for them.”
The order suspends the requirements of Youth Employment Standards Act to allow work permits to be mailed, emailed, faxed or sent via the web rather than the previously required in-person submission, the governor's office said in a release.
The order is effective immediately.
Additional Coronavirus information and resources:
Click here for a page with resources including a COVID-19 overview from the CDC, details on cases in Michigan, a timeline of Governor Gretchen Whitmer's orders since the outbreak, coronavirus' impact on Southeast Michigan, and links to more information from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC and the WHO.
View a global coronavirus tracker with data from Johns Hopkins University.
Find out how you can help metro Detroit restaurants struggling during the pandemic.
See all of our Helping Each Other stories.
See complete coverage on our Coronavirus Continuing Coverage page.